Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Ten Biggest Fashion Faux Pas of the Decade

In honour of 2010, and the new decade that will come along with it, I have compiled a list of whatI think are the biggest fashion blunders of the last ten years. Thankfully most of these trends didn't last too long, and hopefully we have learned from our mistakes! The list is not numbered, because in my opinion they are all as equally guilty.





Uggs
I have mentioned my dislike for them many times, and here it is once again. Perhaps they were cool once, but honestly, this trend should have ended long ago. There are so many better boots out there, which look nicer and are still comfortable... why go for these?




Crocs
Why anyone would want to wear these ugly, brightly coloured, rubber shoes with holes in them is anyone's guess. These shoes are (perhaps) okay for gardening in your backyard (as long as nobody is around to witness it!).  Wearing them in public is such a big, humiliating mistake.



Ed Hardy
Just writing the name out made me shudder. The clothing is so overpriced and it just makes the person wearing them MUCH less attractive. Who wants to pay over $100 for silk screened t-shirts or hoodies with skulls or tigers on them? Both men and women, or boys and girls, who wear these are not doing themselves any favours. Zero class and zero style.  Even worse, the clothing now reminds me of Jon Gosselin, who is frequently seen wearing Ed Hardy t-shirts. Shudder even more.



Phat Farm and Baby Phat (shoes and clothing)
Taking a trip down memory lane to my high school years circa early-mid 2000s, I also fell for this trend. Everyone around here did! This is much too gangster and hip hop-ish for my liking. The words classy and stylish should not be associated with these brands, at all! Not cool.


Trucker Hats
We have Ashton Kutcher to blame for this one. Remember? the trucker hats with the Von Dutch logo on them. Shudder, squirm, gag. I am ashamed that we all thought these hats and those who wore them were cool. Unless you live in a trailer park or are an actual trucker, please refrain from wearing these. Come to think of it, I think this trend has already died out. If so, thank you God!





Velour Tracksuits
Circa the early to mid 2000's. Thankfully this trend has died out and is (hopefully) long gone! Here I point the finger at Juicy Couture and J-Lo. Come on, matching pants and hoodies? In velour?  I will admit, I fell for this trend back in my early high school days. What was even worse were the tracksuits that said Juicy on the butt. Such a traumatizing trend!






Logo/Slogan T-Shirts
These are so tacky and unattractive. You know, the t-shirts with the lame sayings on them as in "who needs brains when I have these". Ahem... please, why would you want anyone to plainly stare at your chest, with the excuse of "reading" what's on your shirt. 




Low Rise Jeans
This is a trend of the early-mid 2000's once again. Thankfully this fashion horror was replaced by high waisted jeans, which we can all be glad about. We can blame Britney Spears for this rise...of um, the low rise jeans, back in the height of her fame. Remember the video for I'm a Slave for You? Yes, exactly what I'm talking about. This has got to be one of the unclassiest, and skankiest (for the lack of a better word) trends of the last decade. No butt cleavage ever again, please and thanks.




Corduroy Pants
Corduroy somehow always manages to make a come back every decade in some shape or form. Corduroy pants are not attractive and in my opinion, they also make one's legs look larger. There is something very middle-age and mom-ish about them. If you're under the age of 45, you should NOT be wearing them.



Harem Pants
These are the genie pants that made a come back in the last two years. I thought they were cool at first, but at second glance... um, no. Why would you want to wear pants where the crotch is down to your knees. You can use it as built-in shopping bag perhaps? In all seriousness, unless you are wearing it as part of a halloween costume, do not wear them in public!!


There you have it, my list of the ten fashion faux pas of the decade. Hopefully the next decade will be more stylish and fashionable. Please, do not repeat these mistakes again! I sincerely hope that none of these trends make a come back, and that those which are still around slowly die out!

Here's to 2010, and to being more stylish, fashionable, chic, and classy!

1 comment:

  1. Thought this was brilliant! I can't seem to follow anyone on here very well! But I would love to follow you!

    ReplyDelete